Saturday, July 03, 2010

Sicilian Spaghetti


Thursday 13 May

Okay, I was making this up. There's not much in the fridge, so I chopped up a couple of little sprouty onions and a big clove of garlic, sautéed them in olive oil, added a big clump of old sun-dried tomatoes in oil from the fridge (chopped), and simmered with a can of tomato purée until it got dark and sludgy. Then threw in a handful of pine nuts and a big bunch of fresh oregano leaves from the garden, and as it cooked down, a few shots of white wine to sweeten and lighten it.

As I cooked the spaghetti for it, I realized that I should have had some goat cheese (or good mozzarella for choice) out and flaked and warming, so that it could be tossed in at the last minute and form warm gooey chunks over the pasta. But it was too late, so I just stirred it into the sauce, where it melded and was warm. Which is all you can ask, really, of a pasta sauce - or a friend, for that matter.

No comments: