Saturday, November 22, 2008

Arctic char and creamed leeks


Tuesday 18 November

A morning of errands took me past the fish counter at Zehrs where there were just-in arctic char, looking very pretty. I chose one with an almost watermelon red streak down its side. I was a trifle disconcerted on unpacking the fish, however, to find it richly coated in slime. It smelled nice and fresh, the eyes were bright, and I recalled that the classic truite au bleu necessitates trout still fresh enough to have a major slime on. A quick consult of the wonders of the Intertubes (Google "arctic char" + slime) revealed that your arctic char makes its own slime and that's not a bad thing. So I filleted the fish, made a quick fumet out of the head and frame, then sautéed the fillets, skin side down first, about 5 minutes on this erratic stove top, then over for no more than 3. Came out perfect, nice crisp skin and tender meat. Over a bed of braised leeks with a little cream.
The char was so nice, however, that next time, I think we'll just roast it whole and not bother with the filleting.

No comments: