Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Hybris (with Shrimp)

Monday
Our dishwasher has died the death, so we're keeping things real simple. Had the last of the Bolognese, perked up with extra oregano and tomatoes, over pasta, Only then remembered a nice recipe I'd seen for a risotto Bolognese. Too late!

Tuesday
After a searing Thai lunch of holy basil stir fry and rice noodle soup, retreated to the calmer waters of the Mediterranean for Garides me Feta: shrimp with feta in a Greek tomato sauce. I (Holt) disdained to look at a recipe for something that I've cooked so often. Hybris, the gods hate hybris. I forgot the cinnamon and allspice, which is what makes the Greek sauce Greek. However, a lot of very aromatic fresh marjoram made up for it. Then I forgot the black olives and tossed them in at the antepenultimate moment.

The shrimps were from those 1-pound freezer bags, which are great to keep around for quick meals, but they and the feta threw off a lot of water. So after the shrimps were pink, I hauled them out with the melted feta, kept them warm on the plates, and reduced the sauce over high, periodically pouring in any liquid from the shrimp. The result was an almost Indian gravy, russet brown, thick and creamy with inclusions of shrimp and feta. Not sure we didn't like this better than the traditional way.

No comments: